Friday, March 29, 2013

Apple Quinoa Salad

In an attempt to let go of at least some of the dairy in our diet, I have been reinventing some of my favorites. The goal here was to still have my mid-day apple. I don't know what it is about that apple, but if I don't have it I can feel it.

I recommend apples.

With the apple I need protein to balance out the fruit sugar and keep blood sugar stable. Typically I have used cottage cheese to do this and call it a Walking Salad. But protein doesn't have to come from dairy or even meat. Protein can also come from nuts, seeds, and grains.

Enter quinoa.

I started messing around with my Apple Salad lunch and knew quinoa needed to be part of it. Quinoa is my new favorite. It contains NINE amino acids and tons of minerals and tastes awesome and is so versatile... Tonight I made a pizza crust with it and it was amazing... but that's another post...

Introducing my New and Improved Apple Salad. :)

A little creativity goes a long way.






1/2 c cooked quinoa
1/4 c chopped walnuts
1/4 c raisins
1 tsp chia seeds
1/2 Braeburn apple, chopped
1/2 orange, peeled and chopped
1 tsp agave nectar
1 tbsp coconut oil, liquified






Mix everything in a bowl and enjoy the day. :-)

No comments: