Thursday, May 2, 2013

Blueberry-Parsley Coconut Smoothies

After reading about Lemon Parsley Allergy Warrior Juice, I was inspired to create a smoothie that would have some of the same immune-boosting, allergy-combating ingredients. The claim with the juice is that parsley can do some serious battle against seasonal allergies.

So my smoothie needed to have a bunch of parsley in it without tasting bitter.

I also wanted as much protein as possible in the smoothie to balance out the sweetness and keep the glycemic index as low as possible. (I don't know the actual GI of this smoothie. If someone has a way of figuring that out, let me know.) In this smoothie you will consume spinach, seeds, and full-fat coconut milk. Good stuff.

Lastly, I don't usually use honey as a sweetener since it can do havoc with blood sugar just like sugar does, but I made an exception with this smoothie. Here's why: Regularly consuming local honey is a good way to get the body accustomed to area pollens so it won't try to fight them off as much. So there is honey in this.

I made this smoothie several times with different fruits and ingredients before finding the perfect combination! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.

1 c frozen blueberries
1 c frozen pineapple
1 c fresh spinach
1 c fresh parsley
1/4 cucumber
2 tsp chia seeds
2 tsp flaxseed meal
2 tsp raw, local honey
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 can coconut milk

Add ingredients to your blender in the order listed. Blend until smooth.




NOTE: Don't make these if you're pregnant; lots of parsley may stimulate contractions.

No comments: