Friday, January 11, 2013

Beef Stew

Both of my guys love potatoes, the big one and the little one. I'm not a big potato fan, but I do love the aroma of hearty beef stew all through our house in the winter. Warms me up.

There's nothing fancy about this recipe; it's just good.




2 lbs beef, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, cut into large pieces
6 big carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
14-oz can of petite diced tomatoes
10 oz beef broth
8 oz tomato sauce
1/3 c gluten-free flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried marjoram leaves
1/4 tsp pepper
6 big potatoes, peeled and chopped

Preheat oven to 250. Mix all ingredients in a large (4-qt) roasting pan. Cover and leave in the oven for 3 1/2 - 4 hours, stirring every hour or so. Stew is done when meat and veggies are tender.

2 comments:

Ellie Wilson said...

Checking to see if you have any suggestions of a good snack. We are trying the elimination diet and I remember you posting different things about different types of allergy friendly foods you were trying. We can't do tomatoes, milk, corn, eggs, gluten, or citrus right now. Wasn't sure if the ones you have tried were that strict or not. The stew above looks amazing btw.

Kati Potratz said...

Hi Ellie. Yes, I have been on elimination diets similar to that. Apples with nut butter make a good snack. Are you avoiding milk or all dairy? Cheese, fruit, nuts, granola bars, and yogurt are things I think of off the top of my head. Barbara's Fig Bars work for us. Oatmeal cookies (with gluten-free oats) are good. If you are missing bread and crackers, I would try some gluten-free baking. Let me know if you want any specific recipes for anything you crave. I think finding good "replacements" is key to success with special diets.