Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Apple Crisp and Apple Pie

Like John the Baptist preparing the way for the Messiah, sometimes I feel that I am just a voice in the wilderness pointing to the Simply Sugar and Gluten Free Cookbook.

I am not the big deal when it comes to gluten-free, but I can throw some water on ya and tell you where to get the good stuff. :D

So, everyone and their dog is making apple crisp right now. It's that time of year. You go to the orchard, you get some apples, you're congested and blowing your nose for the next week from all that hay dust.

But at least you get to eat apple crisp. This one's gluten-free and sugar-free and, as usual, simply scrumptious.




And we actually haven't been to any orchards yet. But our neighbor has a honeycrisp tree and shared a couple bags of apples with us. This is what came of it!

Z has been asking and asking for apple pie, so we used some of the apples and made that too. Recipe can be found in -- you guessed it -- the Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free Cookbook! I seriously should get paid to advertise.




I will never make a pie crust again (too much work!), but this kid sure was happy.




This pie has a pecan crumble topping which totally MADE the pie. The pie was thick, the apples were nice and soft, and the crust did not burn at all. I would definitely make the pie filling and topping again. But I have decided to not make any more pie crusts in my lifetime. I think I spent at least an hour working with that dough and had to add water a bunch of times to get it to stick together. I have my limits, people.




Happy apple baking!

No comments: