Monday, October 7, 2013

Bacon, Basil & Mozzarella Sandwiches

A few years ago, my dear friend, Katie, had me over for lunch. She served these delicious sandwiches on french bread. It was fabulous.

I won't forget that day because it was such an encouragement to me. I was in very poor health at the time.  Katie listened and asked such good questions. Then she shared her testimony of God's grace to her through a lung disease, several lung collapses, lung surgery, and long road to recovery. It was a time in her life where she was completely helpless, debilitated, and wondered how she would get through it.

Someone understood.

Katie has prayed for me and encouraged me so much. She shares so much hope with me and many others. God has carried her. Like me, she is not completely healed. The doctors put a device in her lung to hold it open. (Um, I think I've got all that right but please correct anything I'm getting wrong, Katie!) But she is now as healthy as a horse! She exercises, hosts great parties, and even has babies. :) Most definitely a new creation in Christ.


8 slices of bread
1/2 lb bacon, cooked
fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
1-2 tomatoes, sliced
3 tbsp butter
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 bunches of fresh basil, chopped

Melt butter in a small frying pan on the stove. Add garlic and basil; saute until aromatic. Assemble in this order: bread, bacon, cheese, tomato, herb mixture, bread. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted. Serves four.
















You may already know that Katie is a great cook. I have changed up her recipe a tad. (I like to add tomato slices, and use a gluten-free bread.) At the time these pictures were taken, I had made an herbed quinoa flatbread and used that for the sandwiches. But we have used all sorts of breads and anything works. A crusty bread is my favorite. Also, the mozzarella in the pictures was not fresh mozzarella, which would be way better. So, these are not the best pictures, but I figure it's better than nothing!

FOUR HOURS LATER...

Oh, look! I found a couple more pictures of this meal.





No comments: