Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Granola

For anyone who deals with hypoglycemia, diabetes, or chronic fatigue... or for anyone who just never wants to... I suggest eliminating the cereal boxes in your house. (Even the "healthy" ones).

"Start your day with a substantial breakfast."

It's one of those things you hear in school growing up but never heeded it at home so it was never very important. Until your doctor tells you why it really is and then you try it...

Protein-packed, sugar-free, nutrient-filled breakfasts have done wonders for my mornings. For my whole day, actually. Thankfully my husband has stepped up to the breakfast plate in order to help get me going in the mornings. He frequently scrambles eggs or makes oatmeal for us. He loves to make pancakes so I am even teaching him how to make gluten-free, sugar-free, healthier pancakes from scratch!

Granola is what I eat when everyone else is having cereal. I make a version of this granola every couple weeks or so. It such a good go-to breakfast, snack, or topping. It's really good with almond milk poured over it. I always bring some with me when I travel. I like the subtly sweet flavor, and if I eat it for breakfast it does a good job fueling my morning until lunch, unlike plain old oatmeal. Z has recently discovered that he likes it, too, so I will have to start making more of it. If you have never taken the time to make homemade granola, try it! Your body will thank you.





4 c gluten-free oats
1 c sliced almonds
3/4 c sunflower seeds
3/4 c pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
1/2 c flaxseed meal
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c + 2 tbsp palm sugar, divided
2 tbsp + 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce, divided
1/4 c + 2 tbsp agave nectar, divided
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300. In a large bowl, mix the oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, flax, and salt. In a microwave-safe bowl, mix the oil, 1/4 c palm sugar, and 2 tbsp applesauce; microwave 30 seconds and stir to dissolve sugar, then stir in 1/4 c agave and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until all the oats and nuts are coated. Spread granola evenly onto a baking sheet and bake 30 minutes. Mix remaining 2 tbsp each of sugar, applesauce, and agave. Drizzle over granola, stir well, and press firmly into pan. Bake another 30-35 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove and let cool completely. Break into bite-size pieces and store in an airtight container.

No comments: