Monday, February 4, 2013

Chocolate Teff Cake

Having always had a major sweet tooth (ask anyone in my family), being sugar-free is a huge feat for me. On top of consuming all the sugar already in processed meal foods, I am the kind of person who would eat peanut butter chocolate bars for breakfast because they had oatmeal in them.

However, I am also the kind of person who enjoys a challenge...

So finding a way to cook and bake without sugar -- and still eat sweets -- is totally up my alley!

For my birthday I made this chocolate teff cake from my Simply Sugar and Gluten Free Cookbook. Teff flour is packed with nutrients (a bonus). I made this as a layer cake by doubling the recipe and making two 10-inch round cakes. The cake is sweetened with applesauce, liquid stevia, and coconut palm sugar. You would never know there is no refined sugar in it. And, this cake is gluten-free, unlike the last chocolate cake I made.





First, I enjoyed a piece with my guys...





Then, I had my friends Kelly and Angela over for cake...





Then I took some to my sister's and had some more cake with them (because it had been her birthday in January too and she just had a baby, so she really needed a piece of this)...




Then we enjoyed the rest of the cake whenever we possibly could, until it was all gone. :)