Friday, April 26, 2013

Parmayo Fish

Another fish recipe that masks fishy flavor, courtesy of Julie again. I believe I got these fish recipes from her a couple years ago when my doctor was teaching me how to get more protein without eating something like 27 foods (elimination diet)...

Through this health journey, it has amazed me how God has provided so many little things that have helped me in some small way (like recipes) through so many people. It just goes to show you that when God takes you through a valley, he doesn't just leave you there to fend for yourself. He really does equip you with every little thing you need for each step!

That is how I have made big lifestyle changes, in this case big diet changes. One step at a time. One recipe at a time. One new cooking skill learned. One nutrition fact learned. I am a work in progress, but I am also so thankful to be at a point where I know deep down that I wouldn't want to go back to the old eating/cooking habits. In fact, I think that would be really difficult!

Now, about this fish. I don't remember what Julie calls this, but I named it "parmayo fish" because of the parmesan cheese and mayonnaise. If you are trying to lose weight, I don't know how "good for you" this fish would be. When you slather any food with cheese, butter, and mayo... it will taste great, but it sort of defeats the purpose of "healthy." For my diet purposes, however, fat is okay in moderation. You can always use oil instead of butter and mayo, or less of them, or cut them out altogether if you are going for weight loss.

But for people like me who want foods with a low-glycemic index and free from several common ingredients... do me a favor and indulge yourself here. :)




1/2 c parmesan cheese
1/4 c butter, softened
3 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 lbs fish fillets (I use Alaskan pollock)
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp celery salt

Preheat oven's broiler. Line a broiling pan with foil. In a small bowl, mix cheese, butter, mayo, and lemon juice. Mix in the seasonings and set aside. Arrange the fillets on the pan. Broil a few inches from the heat (second rack from the top for me) for three minutes. Drain the fish juice off the pan. Flip the fillets and broil two minutes. Cover with the cheese mixture and broil two more minutes, until the topping is browned and the fish flakes easily with a fork.

No comments: